Friday, August 3, 2007

The Book That's Inside You

I regularly meet people who sigh and say, "I'd love to write a book about ________, but I could never do it."

I usually encourage them, but I suspect that the real reason they do not write what lies in their hearts is a combination of the following:

1. Fear--of success, failure, mediocrity, whatever.
2. Insecurity--Some individuals really don't believe they are worthy of taking the time for themselves to write.
3. Lack of Support--from family, friends, themselves, et cetera.

Now, I truly do understand what keeps these men and women from exposing their souls to rejection (or acclaim, which can be difficult, too.) I've hesitated more than once myself, though I seem to keep coming back to "the well" like the proverbial "moth" to flame. (Yes, I've been burned... and I have the singed wings to prove it!)

Still, I wish more want-to-be authors would take the first step and begin jotting down their thoughts. Concepts, images, stories... they are everywhere. And they are gone in an instant unless we make the opportunities to capture them.

This weekend (and beyond), I encourage you to pursue all your deep, dark literary aspirations. You never know what you'll find when you unlock your personal treasure trove of ideas.

2 comments:

Hoodie said...

Heaven knows I hear you about the fear of failure. That's why my "big novel" remains the best unwritten one there ever was!

I really like your blog. I will visit more.

The Quoibler said...

Hoodie:

Please write your novel!

I like your blog, too... thanks for taking a break here! :)

Angelique