Thursday, September 20, 2007

What's in a name?

I have read many blog postings about pen names vs. "real" names.

Personally, I have always liked my given name: Angelique. So I use it unless I'm ghostwriting for a client (which I often do.)

What I want to focus upon in this installment of Recess for Writers is the phenomenon of individuals who don't like their names. Maybe the names are kind of boring. Maybe they are too proper or stick-up-the-assish. Maybe they are too wacky or "dirty" sounding (Harry Dick, anyone? Dick Johnson?)

I'm curious to know if those people who don't care for their monikers use pen names as ways to kind of "become" the persons they really are (or long to be?) I mean, that would be fun... and cheaper than therapy (sorry, TIV... just a joke! I respect your profession, I really do!)

Because I'm in a punchy mood, I've been trying to come up with some ideas for names I would use if I couldn't (or didn't want to) use my own.

How about the following nom de plumes? Think they'd attract some traffic?

May Flowers
April Showers
June Breeze
Whiskey Bliss
Freda Frock
Catherine Calling
Georgia Peach
Amber Sunshine

Hmmm.

Some sound a bit like names for exotic dancers, don't they?

So how would you want to be known if you were writing (or working) under an assumed name? Be bold! I need a good laugh!

No comments: