Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Do you feel lucky?

I don't give much credence to the concept of "luck"; I tend to believe that we make our own good fortune by our deeds and attitudes.

However, I watched a butterfly float in front of me the other day and it reminded me (though I'm not sure why) that many people have a "lucky" something. Maybe it's a butterfly pin. Or a collection of elephant knick-knacks. Perhaps it's a rabbit's foot (dear God, let's hope not.)

This led me to ask myself, "Is there anything I own that feels 'lucky' to me?"

The answer, in short, is "no".

I tried to think of something (other than my husband and son) that always makes me feel that Fortune is smiling upon me, but I just couldn't. There's no little trinket that calls to me, no special rock I found at the beach that's smooth on top and rippled underneath, no photograph that I keep with me wherever I go.

Of course, I have no clue what this means... or if it means anything at all!

But I am curious to know if any of my readers have "good luck charms" of any sort? And do they seem to "work" (even just on a psychological level)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't say that I do.

I feel like "luck" is mostly the result of good choices. So many times, I hear people bemoaning what happens to them (i.e., bad luck), but then, over time, I see that they keep putting themselves in a position where those things tend to happen. You can't really complain that you hit a wall when you knew there was ice on the curve and chose not to slow down.

The Quoibler said...

Jason:

You know, after I wrote this post, I did realize that I sometimes gravitate toward the numbers 7 and 14. I don't know if I just like them or consider them "lucky"... but they make me feel psychologically "comfortable". Weird, huh?

Have fun judging your "Halo" contest. I just plugged it today...

Angelique