Thursday, June 5, 2008

I thought you knew!

In a recent comment, Beth asked me what it is that I write, exactly.

And that's when it hit me... I have just assumed that everyone who visits Recess for Writers knows what I do for a living (and a playing.)

First, let me say that I'm a mom. That's first and foremost. It has to be. And my son keeps me busy as well as laughing. (Sometimes yelling, too, but that's for another discussion.)

I'm also a work at home mother (WAHM) with a professional freelance writing career. I have had the privilege to work on nearly every type of writing from articles to blogs to website copy to ad/marketing copy to press releases to reports. The two things that I don't tackle are white papers and novels.

But wait... that's not all!

On the weekends and some weeknights, I work for an acting/modeling agency teaching students of all ages how to "work" the camera and the stage. It's a fascinating gig and one with many stressors... and far more rewards.

Finally, I also perform a one-woman play in local high schools about 7-8 times per year. The piece is a 20-minute performance that revolves around relationship violence issues and is based on the story of a real gal who was killed by her abusive boyfriend several years ago.

All in all, I'm one lucky person.

I don't know why I've been blessed to have a career like this. It's incredibly demanding, but makes me (mostly) happy.

1 comment:

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

This sounds awesome - but I am most interested in your 1 woman play. I would love to see that!