Thursday, March 26, 2009

Public speaking 102

As many of you know, I love speaking in public.

I think that's a little weird.

After all, most people would rather die in a fiery airplane crash or endure hours of torturous dental surgery than address a crowd. And I understand the fear; I just don't have enough of it to keep me from giving speeches.

I wonder what it is that makes people so terrified? My guess is it's the worry that they'll appear stupid or say something idiotic. (Take heart if that's you -- I've done both and I'm still here to blog about it.)

I'm curious as to whether my son has inherited his mother's strange gene. Though he's definitely a "ham" in smaller venues, he's not as apt to get up in front of large audiences. So perhaps he's going to be one of the majority of folks who would rather see Death coming towards them than a microphone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, we have the same genes, A. I /love/ public speaking.

Hubby doesn't mind public speaking, but prefers performing (music, my own rock star), whereas I get a little (but only a little) anxious singing on stage.

Am also interested to see if either kidling inherited the genes.

Mary Witzl said...

I'm not crazy about public speaking, but teaching has pretty much drummed the fear out of me. Also, giving speeches in Japanese: after that, anything pales. I can still make myself almost physically ill remembering an impromptu speech I was called upon to give at a friend's wedding -- and how badly I flubbed it.

The Quoibler said...

Aerin:

Why doesn't that surprise me? :) You're one of the bloggers I'd love to meet in person some day because I think we'd have a great deal in common!

Yes, let me know if kidlings show signs of inheritance!

Angelique

The Quoibler said...

Mary:

I'm sure you are very conversational, knowledgeable and fascinating. One thing that I know you bring to the table is creativity -- that's a real gift. Just to be able to "read" an audience takes some people a lifetime to learn, but you understand how to do it implicitly.

Would that I could see one of your classes! How about a YouTube uploaded video? :)

Angelique